Skip to main content

Teaching, Learning, Adjusting: Week 1


Today's post begins a seven-week cycle of blog posts that are devoted to my teaching and practicum at the University of Southern Maine. 

I teach in a variety of settings in Utsunomiya, Japan, and this week, I am excited to begin this blog series by sharing a bit about my brand-new EFL class I just started. I will also share a new syllabus and a new class activity for oral speaking practice I will use this semester at Teikyo University. In a way, the theme for this week could be: Creating. I want to harness the power of the creative process and in both my new class and Teikyo classes I hope to do this. Posting about this actually helps develop the ideas and outside comments are welcome!

Recently, I have been thinking about the usefulness and practicality of learning a language through creating things (presentations, short videos, audio podcasts, a pamphlet, a brochure, or an advertisement for example) the list is pretty much endless. My experience as a professional musician has definitely influenced this line of thinking. Personally, each time I created a new recording I have always felt a rush of positive feelings and new depths of motivation. I want my students to tap into this positive creating experience. 



I. New Class Advertisement and Description.




II. Email sent (9/1/22) introducing a few more details about the class. 

Note: I don't know why these parentheses are here...and I cannot erase them! How frustrating...






______________________________________________________________________________

                    This week at Teikyo University:


I teach two classes, a first-year and second-year English class. They are supposed to have a "general" focus, but recently I have begun to doubt whether a "general focus" actually exists. We all have goals and desires and it follows that no one has a "general" outlook. Based on last semester's outcomes (my first semester at Teikyo) I recreated two new syllabi and added an important speaking activity to both. Following is one example of the original syllabus, given to me by the school, and then one of my new syllabi. 

I created the new syllabi to incorporate a new activity I call "Minute Speeches". This is a weekly speech in front of the class on a variety of topics (mostly relating to the unit being done). Last semester, students in the class were not challenged enough. The textbook and syllabus provided little stimulation to me or the students, and I observed and noted that each of my students has great potential to be more fluent if given opportunities. Additionally, we have connected as a class and I feel that the students are comfortable and willing to take risks such as speaking in front of the class. I feel the weekly speech activity will put the students in the zone of proximal development and will situate the class in a more challenging (yet doable) context.

Old Syllabus (1 page, vague goals, and overview):


New Syllabus (updated Overview, new Objectives that include all four skills, speech topic list, speech schedule, and rubric):





I based the weekly "Minute Speeches" activity to align with the CEFR Global Standards (See below). Generally, my students at Teikyo are around B1 and I hope we can move into B2 and C1. 

While I wrote all the parts of this syllabus, I used some ideas from my Utsunomiya University EAP class. Adding listening and reading strategies, for example, is a good idea and such strategies should not be confined to EAP classes, and yet, nowhere in my Teikyo textbook or original syllabus is there a reference to strategies for listening and reading, standards to be aligned to, rubrics, awareness of the importance of all four skills. However, this is part of the teacher's job, but it is also part of the school's department to make this kind of development happen. 



___________________________________________________________________________________

                           This Week at Ben's Class


We are reading a script aloud of "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe". This class of five older adults has been reading scripts as part of the class for a year now. After taking over the class, I introduced reading aloud and I think reading aloud (especially conversational scripts) has helped the class increase vocabulary,  improve prosody, and increase motivation a little bit. 

My goal is for the class to audio record a script live in class. We could create a radio show version. We have read two Agatha Christie scripts and they were enjoyable. I think the class would be challenged by this project, but I also believe it might serve as a good goal for each reading we do in the future. I am going to propose this idea to our class next week. 

Each week I audio record the scenes we will read in the following lesson and then send them out via email. I think this helps with prosody and pronunciation. 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching & Learning: Week 6

                                  A blog is a great way to keep track of the work we do. I have really enjoyed keeping a record of my work this way and I want to start a blog as a project as soon as I finish my courses. I have already begun to use a Padlet website for something I call "5 Minute Grammar" and I want to work on this so it is user-friendly and helpful for English language learners. Blogging is also in line with part of my learning philosophy, which is to create things and especially to create things with the content we need to learn. Utsunomiya University Monday, October 3: I taught three 90-minute classes: Integrated English IIB (x2), and Advanced English EAP Arts & Sciences.  I really enjoyed my first two days back at this school and I also feel that I have taken a step forward in my teaching, especially in the last month or so. I prepared fairly well for my semester start at this school and had my materials and plans ready to go for the first two days. I

Teaching, Learning, Adjusting: Week 2

     Working on grammar points, especially how to explain them and model them for students is not always easy! This week, I had the feeling that some English grammar points have no center of gravity! Meaning: Are these rules really real? I got a bit lost in overthinking, but also learned some new perspectives. I have spent many years playing music and working on being creative and breaking down rules just enough to allow myself to be as free as I possibly can musically, but still hold on to tradition. When I approach grammar I am often baffled by word function. I can see everything as a noun! I feel that to really understand many grammar points I have to check my creativity at the door and accept boundaries created by others ( the grammar makers).        I created a PowerPoint to go over an item that was causing some confusion last week in my private class. I am glad I dived into this because it is a grammar item that many of my students in various classes have trouble with (adjectives

Listening Contexts

                                        Listening: Increase your English listening time!  Here are some links to different listening contexts and I hope to update them from time to time, so, be sure to check back here in the future. Let me know if you found any of these videos and links helpful. I think it's a good idea to try new listening experiences. Have you  listened  to TEdTalks? They are great for watching and  listening  to interesting presentations in English. There is a huge amount of variety in  presenters  and topics! One more idea, if you listen to one kind of music, try listening to some genre of music you don't normally listen to. Maybe you're a Heavy Metal fan, try Opera! Or maybe you are a J-Pop fan, try Free Jazz! ....You never know, you might get something out of it.  The following are a few tips for listening and one brief tip for playing around with language you like (See #3, "Riffing" below). A few thoughts and suggestions: 1. Listen to the w