Skip to main content

Teaching & Learning: Week 5

 8 Places To Visit In October In The World To Enjoy Great Weather

This past week was really busy teaching and preparing for my start at Utsunomiya University on Monday, October 3rd. I would like to visit each classroom and provide a little glimpse into what I have been preparing and also what has been going on pedagogically in my current classes.

Ben' class: 9/27, 3pm-430pm, every Tuesday

We are reading short dialogues/ scripts. We focus on reading aloud with prosody and students generally need some modeling and assistance with question sentences, pausing and intonation at punctuation marks (in general). This weeks short ( 3 page) script had quite a few tag questions. These are a bit strange because they are sometimes, (or always?) a positive phrase, combined with a negative question: "You like sports, don't you? ( do not you?!). After reading our script, students asked a few questions about words, pronunciation, and grammar. We then explored tag questions. 


I explained one use of these questions. When we meet people a second time, we don't have to ask the same question we asked the first time we met. We can show the person we remember a little bit about them. Very handy!


Creating Class: 9/28, 6pm-7pm, every other Wednesday

One student presented a very nice presentation about protein. She prepared and created an excellent PowerPoint and presented this along with narration. I took a video of the presentation and emailed it to her and also emailed her feedback from me. I am working on making appropriate feedback and I realize that the feedback can relate to the context of the project/learning situation. A USM classmate mentioned that, and I agree, if a project is more formal with scripted language and notes, then correcting (bringing to attention) small grammar issues can be appropriate. In more casual situations I usually focus on meaning and communication, so in these situations, feedback is limited and small stuff is not worried about ( it can always be modeled back appropriately). I provided my feedback email to my student's presentation below. We also had a chance after the presentation to ask questions and discuss her work and information, which was helpful. 


Feedback email_________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Yuha,


I hope you are doing well today?! It's raining outside now! Ahhh. And, I have no umbrella...oops.


You did a fantastic job last week talking about protein!! Thank you so much! I sent you the video I took, sorry it's kind of funny because the video only shows the computer, but that's ok!! Your PowerPoint and speaking went really well and I learned a lot too ( I'm sure Yukina did likewise)!! Actually, I think I have been eating better since your presentation! I think the protein I need!! 


Below are a few things little corrections and ideas. But, you should remember you did a great job!!


Let me know if you have questions. 


I think next week, we will listen to Yukina talk about differences between Japanese and English and ask her a few questions 

( maybe you can think of some questions to ask this week or in our class next week).


After that, I want us to just practice speaking about a few different topics. Kind of open talk time.


Presentation Feedback


 PRESENTATION TALK

You used some Presentation "talk" really well Yuha! Please keep thinking about these helpful phrases, here are some more to use:


~Next.... 

~this slide shows...

~Let's take a look at....

~Let's explore this further (more)....

~Let’s talk more about... {where we typically get protein}



After these phrases, you can then show the next slide…



SENTENCE IDEAS


Your body change a bit -“Your body will change a bit.”


Here are some common sources of protein.


Now, I would like to talk about common types of food that provide protein. 


-Here are statistics about daily protein needs

  ( exercise needs, emotional needs, social needs) 



Yuha, Again, excellent job on your protein presentation!! :) 



One suggestion for improving your presentations in English is to write and use note cards and *write down everything you plan on saying. I know this will take extra time!! Ahhhhh, but maybe it’s helpful to do it once or twice. 


If you write note cards with key points you will say, and, include a few new presentation “talk” phrases ( For example: "Let's talk more about protein and where we get it”…(next slid), then, you can practice adding new phrases, questions, and all this presentation “talk” in. 


....and if it is written down, you may be able to work on speaking very smoothly. 


But, it’s also good to do without note cards, as you did!! It’s good to try both ways!!!


Thank you!! And see you NEXT Wednesday!!


Have a fantastic week,

Ben



_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Teikyo University, Friday's 1:20-2:50, 3:00-4:30

1:20 Class

One student presented his one-minute speech. The topic was: Talk about a cultural tradition or holiday tradition that is important to you.

We scaffold this speech with textbook work and vocabulary work in class the previous week. After the student spoke we asked a few questions to continue the conversation and then we explored the vocabulary a little more. The word "custom" came up and we write some sentences together relating to holidays and traditions. We also explored its more conventional side. Below is a student-created sentence:

3pm Class

All students gave speeches and I encouraged classmates to ask one question per speech. We had a very nice atmosphere and I believe the speeches were both challenging ( speaking at the front of the classroom), but very doable. Three students also submitted their video uploads. I provided a tiny bit of feedback, mostly encouragement. Some students improved their speech between video submission and in-class performance.

https://padlet.com/teikyocolloquialenglish31/c9nfw6k3vkpjw61t

Colloquial English 2 


Utsunomiya University

Begins on October 3. I prepared a lot of material. I hope to explore this in my next post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching & Learning: Week 6

                                  A blog is a great way to keep track of the work we do. I have really enjoyed keeping a record of my work this way and I want to start a blog as a project as soon as I finish my courses. I have already begun to use a Padlet website for something I call "5 Minute Grammar" and I want to work on this so it is user-friendly and helpful for English language learners. Blogging is also in line with part of my learning philosophy, which is to create things and especially to create things with the content we need to learn. Utsunomiya University Monday, October 3: I taught three 90-minute classes: Integrated English IIB (x2), and Advanced English EAP Arts & Sciences.  I really enjoyed my first two days back at this school and I also feel that I have taken a step forward in my teaching, especially in the last month or so. I prepared fairly well for my semester start at this school and had my materials and plans ready to go for the first two days. I

Teaching, Learning, Adjusting: Week 2

     Working on grammar points, especially how to explain them and model them for students is not always easy! This week, I had the feeling that some English grammar points have no center of gravity! Meaning: Are these rules really real? I got a bit lost in overthinking, but also learned some new perspectives. I have spent many years playing music and working on being creative and breaking down rules just enough to allow myself to be as free as I possibly can musically, but still hold on to tradition. When I approach grammar I am often baffled by word function. I can see everything as a noun! I feel that to really understand many grammar points I have to check my creativity at the door and accept boundaries created by others ( the grammar makers).        I created a PowerPoint to go over an item that was causing some confusion last week in my private class. I am glad I dived into this because it is a grammar item that many of my students in various classes have trouble with (adjectives

Listening Contexts

                                        Listening: Increase your English listening time!  Here are some links to different listening contexts and I hope to update them from time to time, so, be sure to check back here in the future. Let me know if you found any of these videos and links helpful. I think it's a good idea to try new listening experiences. Have you  listened  to TEdTalks? They are great for watching and  listening  to interesting presentations in English. There is a huge amount of variety in  presenters  and topics! One more idea, if you listen to one kind of music, try listening to some genre of music you don't normally listen to. Maybe you're a Heavy Metal fan, try Opera! Or maybe you are a J-Pop fan, try Free Jazz! ....You never know, you might get something out of it.  The following are a few tips for listening and one brief tip for playing around with language you like (See #3, "Riffing" below). A few thoughts and suggestions: 1. Listen to the w